Sunday, February 17, 2008

Roasted Pork Belly (Siu Yuk)

Gong Xi Fat Chai!!
Last year was simply fantastic, I had a great year. My luck was extremely good- I landed a job with a MNC, I flew to Ireland and stayed there for 3 months, I visited London, I bought a new bike- my very own American Classic Chopper.

This year, according to the Chinese Astrology, I am looking toward another round of GREAT YEAR! :) I wish you have a great year ahead too.

Ok.. following is the recipe for Siu Yuk.
To make a good Siu Yuk , you must get a Pork Belly meat with equal portion of fat and meat. You know why.

Ingredients:
One big slab of Pork Belly
Salt
Five Spice Powder
Dash of sugar

Methods:
Use a sharp utensil, poke a lot of tiny hole all over the Pork Belly Skin. Try to poke as much holes as you can, cover the whole skin area.
Rub some salt all over the skin surface. Not too much salt, or it will turn too salty.

Mix 3 part of Spice Powder and 1 part of salt with a dash of sugar.
Use this mixture and rub the bottom of your pork belly meat. Take note, bottom only, not side.

Turn your oven to maximum heat and cook you Siu Yuk for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It is important to monitor your Siu Yuk after 40 minutes, do not over cooked it. You know it is done when you see the skin becomes bubble like texture.

Use a cleaver to chop it to 1 cm thick and serve!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

when u say "oven to maximum heat", how high is the temperature? different ovens differ ans you can't simply put such an ambiguous instruction. Thanks.

Amazon