Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hong Kong Style Egg Tart



I've been searching the internet for the hong kong style egg tart recipe.
After going through about 10 different versions, well I've chosen one that I think has the highest chance to succeed ( basically it means it uses the least ingredients and least steps). Because I do not like my tart to be too sweet, I adjusted the ingredients so my tarts would be healthier and at the same time taste great.

My last baking experience was a failure ( chocolate cookies ), so I am bit worry if my egg tart will fail again. Guess what? It turns out fantastic!

Ingredients for the dough

* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 2 cups wheat flour
* 1 cup self-raising flour
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter
* 1 egg, beaten

Ingredient for the egg filling
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1.5 cup low-fat milk
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 1 dash vanilla extract


To make the dough:
Mix the wheat flour and self-raising flour.
Mix in the sugar.
Mix in the butter and egg.
Mix into a dough. The dough should be bit moist, not to dry or greasy. Adjust with flour or butter accordingly.
Take some of the dough,press the dough on the center of the egg tart mold. Press it so it covers the bottom and up to the side of the mold. Trim off all the extra dough from the top.

To make the egg filling:
Mix the eggs with milk. Add in sugar. Add in vanilla extract.
Beat the mixture until the sugar dissolve completely. Strain the mixture.

Fill the tart mold with the mixture.

Bake the tarts in a preheated oven at 220 degree Celsius for 20~30 minutes or until the tart shell turns brownish and the egg filling raises a bit.

Yield 10 yummy egg tarts.

Note:
The tart filling got good feedback. I got the taste and texture right, but the tart shell on the other hand is a bit too soft.
I kinda bake this tart at 12 mid night because I couldn't sleep. hehe
I did not have any all-purpose flour so I use my own concoction of flours.
Here is another egg tart shell recipe I found on the net, you might want to try it..
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 dash vanilla extract
This weekend I am gonna give it another try and this time I hope to get the tart shell right!

4 comments:

Cyberpenguin said...

Mmmmm, I love ordering these when I go out for Dim Sum. Thanks so much for 6he recipe. I'll have to give it a try! ;-)

Love your blog. You can count me in as a subscriber. (I also have a foodie blog, http://cookingwithcorey.blogspot.com).

Cheers,
-C

Saikat said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

PS: If you have multiple blogs, the widget can help you in a traffic exchange as well.

Rambler said...

Wow , well done! Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

These tarts look heavenly!!!

Fabulous food blog!!! Kudos!

I came by today to let you know about my Foodie Blog Carnival!

You can get some PR or just have fun entering a blog post in the Foodie Blog Carnival!

Entries are being accepted until Feb. 23rd! You can enter anything that has to do with food!

I'll provide a link and a mention to your post! So easy...So fun!

I look forward to your entry: http://CookingWithKimberly.com/?page_id=1580

Kimberly Edwards :)

P.S. Also, I just added you as a friends on MyBlogLog!

Amazon